Tampa, Fla. – Loved ones of the mother and daughter brutally murdered in 2018 were in the courtroom when a judge handed down three consecutive life sentences, following the jury’s verdict of life for the killer. .

About a month ago, a jury decided to sentence Ronnie Oneal to life in prison without the possibility of parole, who was found guilty of murdering his girlfriend and 9-year-old daughter – and attempting to kill her 8-year-old child. me. son at their Riverview home. His son testified against him during his murder trial.

Before Judge Michelle Sisco handed down the sentence, the victim’s family made emotional statements.

Kenyatta Barron’s mother, Carrie Lloyd, said Oneal stole “angels” from the family, including his daughter, Ron’niveya, who has special needs and cannot speak. Lloyd said she was disappointed with the jury’s verdict and wanted Oneal to face the death penalty.

She also said Oneal mocked the justice system by representing herself in the double murder trial and shouting at the jury, as well as blaming Barron for the murder. Lloyd was in tears for much of his testimony.
Oneal, chained and wearing a red prison uniform, then stood up to speak. He turned to the gallery, looked at Lloyd and said he would not apologize for his actions.

“I don’t apologize for something I didn’t do,” he began quietly, before raising his voice to shout, “and I don’t apologize for the things I did!”

The judge reminded him of his tone, telling Oneal she would kick him out of the courtroom if he yelled again. Then he lowered his voice again and continued, “But I’ll say I’m sorry for your loss. Everyone wants to point fingers and play the blame game without knowing the truth.”

BEFORE: Life without parole: Man killed girlfriend, daughter sentenced by jury

Judge Sisco asked Oneal to stand face to face with her as she sentencing him.

“Nineteen years in this job, I have watched people get killed at the hands of others in every conceivable way,” she said. “This is the worst case I’ve ever seen as far as the truth is concerned.”
Sisco recalled the testimony of a firefighter who carried the body of nine-year-old Ron’niveya out of the house.

“When the fire department man testified and said he had taken Ron’niveya Oneal’s body out of the house and all he could do was sob, I had to try my best not to catch him. head sobbing, because there’s no way any person with any feeling could have witnessed or seen pictures of what happened that night and not be haunted for the rest of their lives. yours,” the judge said. “I know I will, for the rest of my life, I will be haunted by what I have seen as far as the evidence, and just the despicable cruelty of it all.”

Sisco focused a lot of attention on the details surrounding Ron’niveya’s death. Prosecutors said Oneal used an ax to kill his daughter, who was unable to speak and was born with a birth defect.

“She couldn’t scream, she couldn’t run away, she witnessed what you did to her mother,” Sisco said, speaking directly to Oneal in the courtroom. “She knew and the horror that child had to go through, and she had a life she was born with challenges, related to physical and mental disabilities. But the pain. and the suffering she endured that night at your hands, unspeakable.”

The judge became visibly emotional as she described the moment of the little girl’s death.
“At that time, the first time you hit her with that ax, and little Ronnie testified, all he could see were tears streaming down his sister’s face – on at that time, that child knew, he knew he was being betrayed in the most cruel way, It was the most tragic and heartbreaking way a child could be betrayed. She was betrayed by her parents. I, the only one who should be there to protect and love their children and keep them from harm,” Sisco said, her voice tinged with anger. “And that’s the last thing the child feels before leaving this Earth is your utter, cruel betrayal of her.”

She then announced her sentence, offering three consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole for two counts of murder and one count of attempted murder. She then sentenced Oneal to 30 years for arson and 30 years for each aggravated child abuse charge, for a total of 90 years for a life sentence.

Before deciding whether to accept the sentence recommended by the jury, the judge denied a motion on Oneal’s behalf, requesting a new trial. Oneal claimed he was denied the ability to testify in court.