(WJAR) – Rhode Island’s television judge is calling for it to be shut down.
Judge Frank Caprio, the longtime Chief Justice of Providence Municipal Court, will retire after questions were raised about the financial aspects of his program.
Caprio has been on the bench for 38 years and his show has been on the air for over 20 years.
“As I look back on my 38 years as a Judge, I hope I have followed the example of all who have served before me, whether on the bench or in the City Government, to make Providence a welcoming city. welcoming everyone and enriching the lives of every person who chooses our wonderful city as their home,” Caprio wrote in part.
The announcement said the chairman of the panel had accepted his retirement, but would nominate him next week for the new position of chief justice emeritus, an unpaid position.
City Councilmember Rachel Miller said in Friday’s announcement: “Judge Caprio has the utmost respect for me for his lifelong dedication to our city. “I intend to support the nomination of Judge Caprio before the full City Council to be the Honorary Chief Justice of Providence City Court.”
Caprio’s future on the bench became a hot topic last week after Providence Magazine reported on the possibility of an honorary role and subsequent questions about the show’s financial arrangements. filmed his courtroom, “Caught in Providence.”
Caprio’s most recent four-year term on the bench is over and appointment is up to the city council.
Caprio made it clear in an interview with Gene Valicenti on WPRO radio on Monday that he wants to stay another year or two and doesn’t want to be fired.
On Monday, Miller asked the city’s attorneys to review the agreements between the city and the judge’s performance and any relevant code of ethics.
Caprio doesn’t get paid from the show, but some members of his family do. And the city doesn’t make money from the program.
It’s not clear why questions are raised after all these years.
The program began to be accessible to the public but has recently been made public. They have an agreement with the Law and Crime network.
As for the future of the film, Caprio’s brother Joe, who has hosted the series for years, posted that although the film will no longer be shot in the city courtroom, the style of justice is unique. of the judge will continue to inspire others.
NBC 10 I-Team reached out to Caprio and his son David, an investor in the program, but received no response.